Saturday, May 15, 2010

Our Final Day in Dublin


Today was our last day in Dublin. I'm sad to leave it, but I'm also looking forward to visiting the countryside next week.


Since it was a free day, I slept in a bit and then decided to visit some of the museums in the city. I went to the National Museum first, which was a lot cooler than I thought it would be. It had a really cool exhibit on medieval life, and also a series of bodies removed from peat bogs. They were around 1800 years old, and some still had hair and discernable faces! It was mildly gross, but really interesting.


Next I briefly stopped in at the National Library to see the exhibit on Yeats. I'm not more than casually interested in his work, so I didn't stay long, but it was a nice exhibit.


I also went to the National Gallery of Art. It was mostly oil paintings and prints instead of the wider variety that some museums have, but it was still nice. I got to see a Picasso and Monet, so that was cool.


For lunch I grabbed a sandwich at a local cafe chain and ate it on a park bench in Saint Stephen's Green. It was absolutely gorgeous today, so the park was filled with people picnicking and enjoying themselves in general. It was really relaxing.


After lunch I walked over to the Abbey Theatre. Although they don't give tours on weekends, I was able to see some of the photos from its current production of Macbeth, which looked really amazing.


On my back to the hotel for a brief rest, I stopped and got some ice cream and then walked along the River Liffey. It was so nice to enjoy the sunshine!


Tonight we're going to the one-night-only engagement of The Last Waltz, a live reproduction of the Martin Scorsese film. I can't wait! It sounds like it'll be a really nice performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment